Monday, April 21, 2008

Mortality

Immediately after high school, I lost a very good friend to a drowning (in a Norway fjord of all places). At that time I was still young, stupid, vain and bulletproof. It all seemed surreal.

Today I learn of my second loss of a contemporary to brain cancer last Friday. This was a friend of some thirty-three years. Though I hadn’t seen him in twenty years, everybody has this kind of friend...you could go twenty years and meet again and it would be as if you had never missed a day. Just pick up without missing a beat. I had kept up with him through my brother and other old friends. Seems like we are all blessed with one or two of those types of friends from the key formative times in our lives...for me: high school, college and law school.

In spite of that, how I regret not having remained closer.

A contagious laugh that lit up a room and never failed to cheer me up. A joy just to be around.

A courageous wife who has suffered with him magnificently since Christmas. G-d be with her and strengthen her.

No comments: