Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Let's go shopping - Iraq style

I had a serious debate with myself about whether or not to post on this subject. But what convinced me was my disdain with all things regarding politics. I understand "photo ops" (well, in the sense that I understand why politicans have them) and I understand "spin", but how stupid do politicians think we are. I think the answer is, and we prove it every election day, pretty dumb.

So McCain leads a delegation to Iraq and they decide to take a stroll around a market to "prove" how progress is being made. How much "safer" things are now.

Right.

Now, perhaps the definition of "safer" is this...before, you had to leave the green zone in a helicopter. Now, you can drive out in a humvee, walk around wearing a bullet-prove vest, have a company of soldiers sealing off the area, have snipers on roof-tops and have attack helicopters circling overhead.

And if that isn't enough to "prove" how much "safer" things have become, Rep. Mike Pence (Rep-Ind) comes up with this gem regarding his trip to the Shorja market:

"...like a normal outdoor market in Indiana in the summertime.."

I've been to Indiana, but admittedly not in the summertime, nor to an outdoor market. Guess I couldn't find because I couldn't see any circling helicopters.

Here is a NY Times article about the stroll around the market and comments by Iraqis.

No comments: