Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A civics lesson from the White House

So I’ve been following the latest “fight” between the WH and the Congress over national security information oversight. I’m really surprised that this hasn’t had more “traction” (using a news term) in the news cycle (using another news term). I will tip my hat to the VP’s office and the WH lawyers – they are using very creative reasoning to somehow maintain that since the VP has duties and responsibilities in both the executive and legislative branches of government, he is exempt from the rules that apply to both, of course only when it suits him. Remember the Energy Task Force? When the VP was asked to disclose the members of this group, he refused, citing executive privilege. When asked to provide information regarding national security matters, the VP refuses, saying his office is part of the legislative branch and therefore, doesn’t have to comply with an executive order signed by President Bush in 2003. What is interesting about this position is that for 2 years, his office DID comply to this EO, but now, nope….not gonna do it.

Now I will admit the ongoing tussle between the VP and House Oversight and Government Reform Committee has made the DMN for the past several days, along with numerous on-line news sites. However, this little nugget was in the DMN on Saturday and I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere else:


White House: Bush's office exempt from order

WASHINGTON – The White House said Friday that, like Vice President Dick
Cheney's office, President Bush's office is exempt from a presidential order
requiring government agencies that handle classified national security
information to submit to oversight by an independent federal watchdog. The
executive order that Mr. Bush issued in March 2003 covers all government
agencies that are part of the executive branch and, although it doesn't
specifically say so, was not meant to apply to the vice president's office or
the president's office, a White House spokesman said.


If I’m reading this correctly, now the President isn’t part of the executive branch either. Or if so, the EO doesn’t apply to him or his office as well. I am very, very confused. Exactly who is part of the executive branch anymore? All throughout my schooling, I was told, I think, that the President and VP WERE the executive branch. Now we’re being told that they are not. Who can clear this up for me?? For help, I decided to check out the WH press office – surely they know and can explain it to the rest of us:

WH press briefing via YouTube

No comments: