Sunday, May 11, 2008

Jewett, Texas

On the way home today I stopped in Jewett, Texas. They have a little flea market/festival the second weekend of every month so I decided to stop, get out and stroll. Typical junk but there were a lot of dogs, fancy roosters and fancy rabbits, and very fancy saddles available.

The thing that caught my eye though was three high school age guys who were cruising as if this little market were a major urban mall. They were interested in only one thing and it wasn't shopping.

Why was this in any way interesting? One was black and two were white and they behaved no differently than my two best friends and I did when I was in that mall in Dallas in 1975.

For those who live in more enlightened parts of the country this may have been common for quite a while.

It is different from the white couple in their 60s talking good-naturedly to the African-American vendors. The former was genuine friendship, the latter likely just southern politeness and knowing the times have changed. We are getting there.

No comments: