Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Book picking time: help, please

Next month my book club will select books for the year. I need to pitch a few and could use input. Can anyone recommend or warn me off of these possibilities:

War and Peace (Seriously; since I learned it is de Bernieres' favorite novel, I've been itching to read it.)
The Power and the Glory (Graham Greene)
Justine (Lawrence Durrell)
The Sheltering Sky (Paul Bowles)
The Bright Forever (Lee Martin)
The Liberated Bride (A.B. Yehoshua)
Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community and War (Nathaniel Philbrick)
In Fed We Trust: Ben Bernanke's War on the Great Panic, David Wessel

Other ideas welcome, but keep your Cryptonomicon and its ilk to yourself because the book club ladies won't go for that.

Also, since our meeting for Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, two people have read or finished it and loved it. Someone is planning to pitch Yiddish Policemen's Union this year.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I think you might be interested in what A.B. Yehoshua has to say about Americans for Peace Now...a pro-Israel pro-Peace organization. http://peacenow.org/entries/a_letter_from_ab_yehoshua