Monday, May 28, 2007

Alzheimer's

Alzheimer's is a pretty interesting thing.

About 2 hours ago there was a knock at my door and I opened it to a well dressed older gentlemen. He looked at me and said, "I have no idea where I am or how I got here. Can you help me?"

He knew his name and his wife's so I went to the phone book to no avail. I tried dialing 411 and learned that that apparently is no longer available to me. Starting to panic, I jumped on the internet and found that Carl was about 35 miles from home. He is a resident of Sun City which is a seniors community (and quite a nice one) about six miles west of Georgetown, Texas which is about 30 miles north of me. Stupidly, I never thought to ask him if he had his wallet.

I tried calling his wife but no answer so I left her my number. Then I called back and left another message telling her not to worry because I would bring Carl home. He's now home. Lots of conversation about his wife (he clearly loves her but she's Roman Catholic and "that's her problem") and some of his time as a clergyman. He has a theory about the inordinate number of grey, brown and green cars but he never shared it with me. I think he might be colorblind and sees them all as one color.

I still have no idea how he got here and neither does he. 35 miles...scary.

How do I know it was Alzheimer's? At some point he felt compelled to show me his driver's license and noticed an Alzheimer's card in his wallet.

No comments: