Thursday, May 31, 2007

Nineteen Minutes


I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of Ms. Picoult, but I have read several of her books and have enjoyed the ones I have read. I knew the basic plot (a school rampage shooting at a high school) beforehand, but what made this interesting to me was how she explored the event from many different angles (the shooter, the shooter's parents, the lead detective, the best friend of the shooter, the judge who is the mother of the best friend) and from different points in time from years before the shooting to months after. You do find yourself, while perhaps not condoning the shooting, sympathizing with the shooter and what drove him to get to that point. Of course there is a plot twist that to me seemed rather predictable (I had mostly figured it out at page 108), but even with the ending not being a total surprise, I found this to be a very good read. It did, at times, take me back to my middle school and high school days, wondering if my schools had anyone that was a "walking time bomb".

No comments: