Thursday, September 27, 2007

McCain's Energy Policy

Who knew the crusty "maverick" would be the most sensible? From today's NRO:

We have in use today, a zero-emission energy that could provide electricity for millions more homes and businesses than it currently does. Yet it has been over 25 years since a nuclear-power plant has been constructed. The barriers to nuclear energy are political not technological. We’ve let the fears of 30 years ago, and an endless political squabble over the storage of nuclear spent fuel make it virtually impossible to build a single new plant that produces a form of energy that is safe and non-polluting. If France can produce 80-percent of its electricity with nuclear power, why can’t we? Is France a more secure, advanced, and innovative country than we are? Are France’s scientists and entrepreneurs more capable than we are? I need no answer to that rhetorical question. I know my country well enough to know otherwise.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Great stuff. We can live with him if he were to get the nomination.

Scooter said...

Just not quite sure on his overall stability. I'm also a little concerned about my local friend's R support of his actions/policies during Kosovo...but that is for a later discussion.

However, if he can get these energy policies (and I do have some problems with the ethanol and renewable sources) put forward, that is a good thing.

Note: Michael and LJ know that my position on oil involves personal sacrifice, but one I'm willing to make.