Monday, September 24, 2007

Single-payer portent

Ok, I’m getting a little ticked now.

We all remember August 29, 2005. Of course, that was the day Katrina hit. By November, my gracious clients had purchased two brand new 3-2 homes in Austin. They then leased them to two Katrina families for whopping $600 per month for three years with three one year options AND an option to purchase at any time at the price my clients paid for the homes WITH ALL rent paid to be applied to the purchase price.

Play one’s cards right and that means one rents for six years and has an automatic $43,200.00 down payment to apply toward the purchase of a six year old home that was built for about $170,000. In other words, the tenants get $43,200.00 PLUS any appreciation over six years in INSTANT equity. Finance the balance over 30 years at a high 7.5% and the payments, less tax and insurance, would be about $890.00 per month.

Yes, yes, Scooter, you mentioned all this in 2006. Why the capital letters? Why so upset?

Because I just got notice today that FEMA HAS EXTENDED THEIR RENTAL SUBSIDY (100%) THROUGH NOVEMBER! TWO YEARS AFTER THE EVENT!

I certainly don’t blame the families here. I'd keep my nose in the trough/mouth at the teat as long as possible, too. I’ve even kinda lived it recently with all the tests my Dad went through in his last months on Medicare. But having lived through all the inefficiencies imbedded in that system (rough guess, maybe $5000-$9000 in unneeded tests), this FEMA thing continues to depress.

Heaven help us if we go single-payer health care.

No comments: