Friday, November 09, 2007

2d email from the prosecutor

After I sent her a slightly edited version of my post:

Dear Mr. [Scooter]: I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the case. I really appreciate how much you thoroughly listened to and considered all of the evidence. I noticed you might have had a question about the different jails. I'm still very new to felonies, but as I understand it, there are three different kinds of jail in Texas. First, there is the Travis County jail, which is for misdemeanors. Defendants get 2 for 1 time at this jail. For example, if a Defendant is sentenced to 30 days jail on a DWI, then he would get out in 15 days. Second, is State Jail. State Jail is the lowest level of felonies. In State Jail, Defendants have to serve day for day. Third is prison. Prison is the most serious jail. However, unlike with State Jail, Defendants are usually eligible for parole once they have been in jail for 1/4 of their sentence. The only exception to this is in the most serious cases, which are referred to as"3g offenses." (see 42.12, sec 3g of the Code of Criminal Procedure;examples include murder, capital murder, indecency with a child,aggravated kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault, aggravated robbery) In those cases, Defendants are not eligible for parole until they have served ½ of their time. If you have any more questions, feel free to call or email me. I hope you have a good weekend!

Sincerely,

No comments: