Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Posted hesitantly

As I left the office tonight many of the folks who clean the office (the folks who come in at night and mop the bathroom floors, the guy with the vacuum cleaner backpack, trash taker-outers, etc...) were coming into the garage. I counted a Suburban (maybe two years old), a smallish SUV (like a CRV, looked brand new) and a brand new mid-sized Toyota sedan. Each auto carried only one person. Two of them were talking on cell phones.

Last year, we had to complain to management because one of our attorneys logged onto his computer from home to find that someone at the office was already on his computer. Turned out it was one of the office cleaners who was updating her MySpace or Facebook site.

I was reminded that in Dinesh D'Souza's What's So Great about America, there is a quote about why another person of Indian origin wanted to immigrate to the USA....ok, I can't find the quote in the book but I did find this from a column of his that makes the same point with whom I assume is the same person:

... "They arrived at the same perception that I witnessed in an acquaintance of mine from Bombay who has been unsuccessfully trying to move to the United States. I asked him, "Why are you so eager to come to America?" He replied, "I really want to live in a country where the poor people are fat."

What a country! I know, I know, the poorer among us are overweight because of their terrible nutrition options. My point is that the guy from Bombay is amazed that they weren't starving like they do in his homeland. When those on the presumably "lower economic rungs" have these "necessities," we must be doing something right...economically. The cell phones, computers and these quality autos were not available to even the richest within my lifetime.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Nutrition Options??" Come on. If you can find and afford a Big Mac you can eat healthy stuff.

Scooter said...

Not my position..."their" position.

Anonymous said...

Ah

Anonymous said...

maybe "nutrition options"