Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Aquariums of Pyongyang: Ten Years in the North Korean Gulag


I have been fascinated recently with North Korea. The whole "cult of personality" which has been in effect there for so long. As with alot of the books I read these days, I stumbled across it. This book was mentioned in a blog post on one of the 4 blogs I read every day. Just a passing reference. Having already read one book about the Kim dynasty in the DPRK ( Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader), this one interested me because it was written by a survivor from a "re-education" camp. "Normal" life in the DPRK is brutal enough - living in one of these camps is something totally different. It renders one speechless to know that this type of totalitarian rule still exists in the world. If you are interested in learning about what has been going on there (and still is), read both of these.

No comments: