Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Sopranos - Season 4

I got through the last 2 episodes on Monday. As I usually mention every time I post about this, I still don't get the hype. I will say, however, that I do gather more appreciation for the series listening to the commentaries that accompany some of the episodes. The best are when David Chase, the creator of the series, does them. Not only does he give you trivia about where scenes are filmed, how they are filmed, who the extras in certain scenes are, he seems to give more insight into the what the characters are thinking, which is sometimes difficult for the normal viewer when they are speaking in their "coded" speak. He said a couple of interesting things in the final episode - that there were lots of complaints about the finale because not enough people got killed. As death or killings make a good cliffhanger. He also said you had to look at the first 4 seasons in very broad terms in relation to Tony. That in general they were about Tony the son (Season 1), Tony the brother (Season 2), Tony the child (Season 3) and Tony the father (Season 4). In reflection, that made a lot of sense, but perhaps I have the advantage since I'm able to watch them differently than someone who had to wait months between seasons.

The other thing he mentioned that I found interesting was the effort they went through to make Tony likable and a "hero", while at the same time knowing they had to keep showing him as the sociopathic mobster he is. That they had a very fine line to walk in that regard, because the hero in any tv series or movie has to be likable or someone you care about, even if they do horrible things and/or are a horrible (in certain aspects) person.

The one thing that stood out for me in Season 4 was what, so far at least, is the funniest scene of the entire series. I watched it several times and each time, I was laughing so hard I was crying. It occurs in the episode entitled, "The Strong, Silent Type" and is an intervention for Tony's nephew who has a heroin addiction. Just the thought of super-macho, emotional Italian mobster's trying to be"non-judgemental" in regards to anything makes me laugh - to put them in a situation like that, was just brilliant.

Only 2 more season's to go - I'm in the home stretch.

1 comment:

Scooter said...

Hate to say it but you've already seen it at its best.

My favorite moment by far was the scene where Tony's daughter (I've forgotten her name but recall it had a sixties flower child ring to it) sings a duet with a friend. It is an absolutely beautiful song...some kind of classical singing piece. During the singing there are flashes, as I recall, to some of Tony's henchmen doing something awful and to Tony as he weeps watching his daughter sing this lovely song.