Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Today

Today is the 48th anniversary of the luckiest day of my life. 49 years ago my mother got the phone call, “Congratulations, Betsy, you have a son.” Obviously, the adoption procedures were long since finalized. Dad and a neighbor (who was also my mom’s physician) were on the way to the hospital to pick me up, with Mom and her mother waiting at home.

Mom paced around the house while her mom tried to reduce expectations by reminding her that some infants are plain ugly and red. Mom continued to pace and could only think one thing, “I’m a new mother. I need to be clean. I need to be clean.”

So she went to the bathroom to take a shower. It was only after the water was rushing over her did she realize she was fully clothed.

Thanks, Mom and Dad.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a great story! It was a lucky day for your folks.

Stephanie said...

So is this your birthday? or would that have been yesterday or recently? Happy birthday or belated birthday!

Scooter said...

Today. Thanks.

love johnson said...

Happy Birthday Scooter!

Scooter said...

Thanks, LJ.

Have to mention that I wasn't fishing for Happy BDs, just wanted to relate the story that my mom related to me this morning (for the gazillionth time) through tears.

Stephanie said...

We know.

Anonymous said...

Or do we?