Sunday, May 10, 2009

Re: Curfew

I can't remember exactly what my curfew times were. They must have been reasonable, since I don't recall it ever being an annoyance. I think it was 1:00 on weekends. I was so obnoxiously well-behaved in high school that I could have stayed out all night and still not found any trouble to get into. As I was reflecting on this question, I was remembering how we spent late night hours: sitting at Perkins drinking Cokes; sitting in someone's family room drinking Cokes; sitting around a piano singing; holding impromptu Bible studies for FUN; OK, maybe an occasional episode of toilet-papering someone's house. It sounds dull, but my friends were smart and creative and funny, so all of these activities were infused with laughing to tears.

I didn't drink until college, with a few exceptions: 1) wine with pizza or steak at home with parents; 2) trip to Germany; and 3) one shared bottle of champagne, sitting on the hood of a car, parked in the middle of a field on the prairie, under the enormous North Dakota sky filled with stars on a warm spring night. During #3, we kept saying, "This is fun! Why haven't we been doing this all these years".

No comments: