Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Christmas recipes


I'll start with this delectable desert that I've never made. How does it sound to you? T thought the addition of the chocolate chips sounded bad.

PECAN PIE BARS

Recipe from Kathy Fowler, Spring

1 1⁄ 3 cups flour

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened

3/4 cup sugar, divided use

3/4 cup light corn syrup

2 eggs

2 tablespoons flour

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup chopped pecans

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In medium bowl, combine flour, butter and 1/4 cup sugar. Beat at low speed until crumbly. Press into bottom of 9-inch square baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until brown.

In separate bowl, combine corn syrup, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, flour and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until well-combined. Stir in pecans by hand.

Sprinkle chocolate chips over hot crust. Pour filling over chips and crust. Continue baking 30-35 minutes or until set. Cut into bars.

8 comments:

love johnson said...

I'm out on anything with pecans. How I can be from "the South" and not like them is beyond me.

And the chocolate is what would make me want to at least try them.

Stephanie said...

I'm with LJ. I don't generally bother eating non-chocolate dessert. In fact, the flour, corn syrup etc is an unwelcome distraction from the chocolate. I've been wishing forever that restaurants would just have some pieces of chocolate on the dessert menu. (Have found only one here that does but I'm hoping it's a trend.)

Have mentioned before that I do not bake. Except pies for Thanksgiving. Once every five years I make a batch of tollhouse cookies like our grandmother used to make.

Michael said...

I guess i won't bother with the Nut Rolls:

NUT ROLLS

Recipe from Rose Wadding, Seabrook



DOUGH:

1 pound cream cheese

1 pound butter

4 egg yolks

1/2 cup sugar

5 cups flour



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat egg yolks (save egg whites for the filling). Combine cream cheese, butter, yolks, sugar and flour in large bowl and mix well. Make into 80 balls and chill several hours or overnight



FILLING:

1½ pounds walnuts, ground

4 egg whites

1½ cups sugar



Mix walnuts, egg whites and sugar to make a thick paste.

Remove dough balls from refrigerator half an hour before using. Roll each ball out on board dusted with powdered sugar and flour. Put one teaspoon of filling on one end. Roll up.

Bake 10-15 minutes on ungreased cookie sheet, or until lightly golden.

Michael said...

Although anything that starts with one pound of cream cheese and one pound of butter sounds pretty good to me...

Stephanie said...

Snowed in. We didn't get THAT much snow but the city plowed the east/west part of our alley, but not yet the north/south part, so there's a giant wall of snow at the intersection. Love to be snowed in when I've planned for it and have ingredients for gumbo, but today is not one of those days.

Michael said...

Snowed in and can't post a recipe or two?? Hmmm.

Stephanie said...

Don't have any recipes because I don't bake.

By any chance, do you have Grandma's fudge recipe? My mom tells me it includes marshmellow cream out of a jar or some such thing. That doesn't seem right to me, but it's probably been two decades since I made it so could be.

Stephanie said...

Swedish almond cake! I bake that from time to time. K hates it so I get to eat the whole thing. And book club loves it. It has its own special pan shaped like a quonset hut.