Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Don't know if I can do this without audio...

but for the last several years I've noticed something aurally annoying to yours truly.

The sound made by the letters "tt" in the English language as spoken by Americans, particularly Californians.

There is an ad (for Efax I think) running on the Hewitt show lately that has pushed me over the edge. Generalissimo Duane says, "...and click on the radio 'button' and enter Hugh Hewitt...."

The way he says "button" sounds to me like he is pronouncing, very quickly, both Ts. It sounds like, "but-tin." Again, the two "t" sounds are said very quickly, but it just drives me nuts. Isn't it pronounced "bŭt´n?"

OK, thanks to bartleby.com maybe I can do this audibly.

This is really embarrassing but the first time I noticed it was in the movie Clueless about 10-12 years ago.

What a misanthropic curmudgeon am I.

No comments: