Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Crusades circa 2001

I can't wrap my head around the recent GQ story by Robert Draper about Rumsfeld's use of Bible verses in daily digests of military intelligence prepared for Pres. Bush. The story includes a slideshow of the actual memos. Example here:
I'm not sure which frightens me more: to imagine that this reflected the view from the top at the Pentagon (i.e. that the U.S. military really was fighting a religious war); or that it doesn't reflect Rumsfield's view but was used to manipulate the President (and that we had a president that could be manipulated this way).

Notably absent are slides labeled with these Bible verses:
Matthew 5:39: But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Matthew 5:43-44: You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you...

Exodus 20: 13 Thou shalt not kill.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So. We shouldn't have fought the Nazis?

Stephanie said...

I'm just saying that Christianity can be hijacked and mis-used to justify violence the same way that Islam can.

Also, picking and choosing Bible verses to support policy positions scares me to death. Doesn't that scare you? You can find a verse to justify all kinds of crazy things.

Yes, we should have fought the Nazis.

Scooter said...

I certainly found the use of those verses creepy.