Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mary, Queen of Scots


Another subject that grabbed my attention around our trip to Britain. However, after getting tired head when reading the book on Henry VIII and his wives, I wanted to find something a bit more basic and hopefully, shorter. So I went to my local library (the local library - a subject that I need to post about) to see what they had. This one was listed as being in the children's section, so I was a bit wary of it. I was pleasantly surprised not only with the book, but with the selection of books in the children's section of the library. With the onset of the internet, do kids still use books to write reports? This was a concise, to the point, no frills account of Mary's life. It was well sourced and even with my knowledge of the subject matter, it held my interest and refreshed my memory. It had an easy to read timeline and family trees which made it easy to keep all the Henry's and Mary's separate.

Mary made some really poor choices, especially after the death of her French husband. But one has to wonder if our judgment of those choices are blinded by hindsight. Add to this that she was a bit unlucky (had Elizabeth I not been childless, would she have been so suspicious of Mary and eventually put her under house arrest and executed?) and her life is viewed as rather tragic, much like the history of her subjects, the Scots.

A very quick read and a great overview of her life and times.

2 comments:

Scooter said...

By the way, have you watched the two Cate Blanchette "Elizabeth" movies? What did you think. I really liked them.

love johnson said...

I've seen some recent Elizabeth I movie (recent meaning last 10 years, though I don't recall who was the star. Movie was well done, that I do remember.