Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Music blogs and "mash-ups"

Recently, I went to get the oil changed in my vehicle and while waiting, was reading an article about music blogs (where mp3 files can be downloaded free, supposedly) and about "mash-ups".


The article recommended several music blogs and I checked them out and to say they are on the cutting edge of the music scene is an understatement. Since I know at least one of my fellow SSJ'ers is VERY mucically challenged (at least when it comes to current music trends), perhaps these links will help him get in tune to what is going on. What attracted me to these sites in particular were their names...quite clever I thought:

teaching the indie kids to dance again

the suburbs are killing us

more cowbell (a big favorite of mine, since it's named after one of the greatest SNL skits ever)


Now, about "mash-ups". For those who don't know what this is, the term "mash-up" or "bootleg" (or, more commonly, just "boot") describes the result of mixing together two or more records to create a whole new track. Though originally performed live using turntables and DJ mixers, recent advances in sequencing software have taken this art-form to a whole new level.
There are numerous sites that have links to some pretty interesting "boots". One of the best is:

go home productions

check out "ray of gob" (a madonna/sex pistols mash-up).


Here is another:

mash-ups

check out "the southern doors cult" (the doors/the cult)


I feel so "with-it" now.




No comments: