Monday, February 26, 2007

RE: I guess it was worth it

Scooter - have you seen the "Children of Men" movie? C and I went to see it about a month ago, after reading all the hype and glowing reviews. I didn't see what the fuss was all about. It was OK, but I was more interested in why the world was as it was, why children weren't being born. The movie didn't address any of that....only that it was just that way and had been for many years. Does the book, to your knowledge, address these subjects?

3 comments:

Scooter said...

No explanation yet as to the why and I've only got about 25 pp to go. All the reviews I read said the same thing (that is, the same thing they always say): book better than movie.

So, while I'm loving the book, I've waited on seeing the movie. I'll let you know.

Scooter said...

I don't think there will be an explanation as to the why no kids. But, James uses two devices to tell the story. One is straight, third person narrative. The other device appears as Theo's (protag.) diary entries. She uses his diary entries to address a lot of the past...including Theo's childhood memries with Xan (the Warden).

Most of the critical reviews said that the movie lacked the depth of the book.

Scooter said...

Forgot to report: no explanation as to why they went sterile.