Friday, March 30, 2007

'Shooter' Hits Its Mark With an Old-Fashioned Hero

or so reads the Washington Post headline (registration required). This is the only positive review I've seen for the movie version of one of my favorite pieces of Airport Fiction. Point of Impact is the first in a series of action novels by Stephen Hunter (Pulitzer winner for movie critics at WaPo) set around Bob Lee Swagger in the present and his father Earl Swagger in the past.

I know, I know, "Swagger? You've got to be kidding." I can't help it. I love these books. Can't put them down and have read most of them twice. I've heard Hunter described as the Tom Clancy of the rifle and I think it a fair moniker, though I generally find Clancy a little ponderous.

At least Hunter didn't review himself. I'll see for myself this weekend.

No comments: