Sunday, April 27, 2008

Re: Dogs

Sure, break my heart with those pictures.

Still dogless after Malcolm and Mollie (the two most recent collies...Grace was the collie I had in my youth). One of these days.... It is a little hard being a "single parent." I spent the entire weekend at the office and that just wouldn't be fair. When Mollie died in '03 I had great guilt because I hadn't been able to really treat her as she deserved during the last 18 months because of work. Malcolm was just the opposite. Shortly after moving to Denver he was diagnosed with cancer and we three spent most of that summer in the mountains. They just went nuts when we came across big horn sheep. I also need more room before I get another big dog.

I've always just loved collies. In spite of their Lassie rep, they are not the brightest dogs in the world but boy are they gentle and affectionate. I think LJ and Michael would both attest to those latter qualities. Michael will certainly agree they aren't doggie rocket scientists. Though they aren't the best herders on the planet, they are pretty impressive to watch. There is a pretty good annual competition here in Texas but its nothing compared to the one they have in Colorado.

And, in spite of those gentle qualities, they are pretty protective. Malcolm once prevented a break-in at my place in Houston. Per the next door neighbor, some guy tried to crawl in through the dog door until Malcolm ran him off. Grace once ran off intruders from my boy scout campsite per my scoutmaster.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

How did you come to have two dogs at the same time? Did you get the two of them together? Siblings? As puppies?

Scooter said...

Ah, Mollie came along about a year after Malcolm as a gift from the ex. Acquired both at about 8 weeks, I think.

Not sibs. They had one litter together.