Thursday, January 01, 2009

NHL Winter Classic


The NHL played their 3rd Winter Classic (outdoor game on 1/1) today at Wrigley Field in Chicago. The Chicago Blackhawks vs the Detroit Red Wings. My interest in this was two-fold. First, C and I are BIG Wings fans and second, watching outdoor hockey. Since I grew up in Houston, I don't get the whole outdoor hockey thing, but it was obvious that it was a very big deal to the players. The skating wasn't as smooth and fast as you see with indoor games (ice conditions and the wind in Chicago toady played a big role in that), but it was a very entertaining game. Big hits, lot of goals, great saves. The only thing missing, as in most NHL games these days, was a fight.



I posted this last picture to show the uniforms the teams were wearing today, especially the Wings. This was the uniform they wore during their first season in the NHL, back in the 1920's. I liked the shirt, but the socks are awful. The Detroit players described them as "Dr. Seuss uniforms", which is a very accurate description.

The Wings won 6-4. All-in-all a great day for hockey fans.

4 comments:

Scooter said...

Great pictures. I had no idea you were a Wings fan. I got to be a bit of an Avalanche fan; therefore. Wings are anathema to me.

Stephanie said...

Crazy that I, the Minnesotan in the group, am the one who doesn't pay any attention to hockey.

love johnson said...

I've been a huge Wing fan since the mid 90's. C and I have been to Detroit once (2006) for a game. Go to all the games here when they play the Stars. We are planning another trip to Detroit, hopefully next month, for a special Wing event that if we go, I'll talk about. We also have the NHL Center Ice package from
Direct TV so we can watch all the Wings games.

Scooter said...

Maybe saying "a bit of an Avalanche fan" was too strong.

Growing up in Dallas I used to go to the Chicago Blackhawk farm team games there. More fights in the stands than on the ice. My brother and his daughter are big hockey fans but I haven’t watched a game in years.