Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cross one off my bucket list

I've always had a desire to experience this and until yesterday, never had. To say it was weird would be an understatement.

We've been having our a/c's replaced and the guy was working in the attic yesterday morning. After he left, I was on the computer in our "office" when all of a sudden, I heard a "BOOM" noise and the foundation of the house felt like it was moving, along with what I thought was the furnace or something in the attic falling or crashing. It lasted about 5-10 seconds. I went outside to look around and didn't see anything. Went into the attic and looked around and nothing looked out-of-place. It was raining at the time, so no one was out looking around or anything. I had no idea what had happened until I read the paper this morning.

To me the strangest part of it was the "BOOM" noise. I've heard sonic booms many times, the last one was actually the Space Shuttle Columbia when it came over the DFW area as during it's ill-fated re-entry. That was a different type of BOOM - the windows in our house sorta rattled a bit. The BOOM yesterday didn't effect the windows - I guess the difference being that the Columbia book was airborne while the one yesterday was underground.

The city of Euless is right next to where we live, so the epicenter had to be very close to us. I think I'm going to go get a T-shirt made that says "I survived the Great DFW earthquake of '09".

2 comments:

Scooter said...

I once lived under the flight path to Love Field (from the north) and I could count on those booms about twice a day in the 60s.

Stephanie said...

In Bismarck, we had sonic booms in the 60s frequently from the jets based in Minot. Those and the get-under-your-desk drills...kind of crazy backdrop for childhood.