Thursday, April 10, 2008

Re: Googlegangers

I've got two doppelganger stories:

When I was in high school, my mom received a call from a teacher at my former grade school who told her "Stephanie" was having a problem with wetting her pants. My mom was baffled first as to why I was spending time during the day at the grade school, and second as to why she herself hadn't noticed the pants-wetting problem. Eventually they figured out the teacher had called the mother of the wrong Stephanie who shared my last name.

Then, in the early 90's, I received many calls from young men who wanted to know if I was the Stephanie X they'd met at a bar. (No, I wasn't.) I could never understand how this happened exactly. Was this woman someone who actually shared my name and did she give out her full name to strange gentlemen in bars, telling them to look her number up in the phone book, not realizing that they might have trouble finding her? Or was she giving out a fake name, and if so why not also give out a fake number unrelated to the name? Or was she giving out my name and number as a prank on me? Don't know, but it stopped eventually, and I wondered whether that meant she'd found love and settled down.

No comments: