Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Re: What if...(marriage)

I'm going to go way out on a limb here.

On a purely personal and, I admit, probably religious level, my biggest gripe with the changing of the definition of marriage is that I do believe this:

Men without women at some basic, instinctive level are savage and destructive: self-destructive and others-destructive.

Marriage has a civilizing effect on men. There is in men a swashbuckling bent (ok, maybe it's just me). Marriage to a woman focuses that bent in a positive way. It re-channels those destructive forces into positive outcomes as the drive to cause destruction/chaos becomes a drive to protect--wives and children.

For this reason, I see real problems in a Chinese society going forward as boys are treasured and girls discarded. Who wants to live in a society in which men vastly outnumber women? That will be a scary place.

Doesn't resonate with my libertarian side but that is what I think. I also recognize that I generalize.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

On China: http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0903/p01s03-woap.html

End of that article notes market forces! Girls, in scarce supply, will have greater power leading to a matriarchal society.

Also noteworthy that a similar imbalance is happening elsewhere too, including India.