Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Stephanie mentioned a contemplative mood today...

Mom told me this weekend that she couldn't understand how any conservative African-American could possibly vote for the now President-elect Obama. I had to disagree.

As a middle-aged white guy from the South who can still remember the time in my grandfather's hometown in Oklahoma when my brother and I begged my grandfather to allow us to swim in the "mixed swim" hour at the city pool, I can't imagine how yesterday must have felt.

It was the sixties, the second half of the sixties.

2:00-3:00 White Swim
3:00-4:00 Colored Swim
4:00-5:00 Mixed Swim

Thankfully, I was too young to appreciate what that meant or to be aware of any violence being perpetrated against African-Americans (or other rights being violated). I was kid who just wanted to swim.

I know this must be a day of phenomenal pride for African-Americans, whether liberal, moderate or conservative. Heck, in that respect, it is a day of pride for me, too.

No comments: