Friday, February 20, 2009

LJ's Best Picture Film Festival

I've been, correctly I must say, called out for not blogging lately about my Oscar nominated film festival. In my defense, I've been spending most of my "free time" trying to get through the final season of The Soprano's, doing our 2008 tax return, and researching/planning a vacation C and I are taking in early April. However, I should be able to find time to follow through on this.....

Several weeks ago, C and I saw "Doubt". This isn't one of the Best Picture nominees, but we wanted to see this because of the 2 leads (Philip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep) and to see if someone who is in only 1 scene of a movie could be good enough to get an Oscar nomination (Viola Davis - Best Supporting Actress). This film is adapted from a play and it did have a play-ish feel to it. The story was really good and the acting was very good and while Viola Davis was in only 1 scene (actually, technically 2), the scene(s) was an important one and she WAS great in it. Amy Adams has also been nominated for Best Supporting Actress in this and while she has more scenes, she didn't stand out at all to me. I'm sure that anyone who went to a Catholic school in the 50's - 60's had some serious flashbacks, especially in relation to Streeps' character. In the end, the audience has just as many "doubts" as Streep does, from the main question of the plot, but also of faith, of justifications, of styles, of just about everything. This movie does what I think most good/great films should do - giving you ample ammunition for discussions and conversations hours after seeing it.

No comments: