Thursday, June 11, 2009

Storm last night

So I'm on the phone with C (she was in Shreveport, LA on business) around 7pm when I think I hear the tornado sirens going off. I had just been outside a couple of minutes before and while it was cloudy, no rain and no wind. I walk outside and within 10 seconds, the wind starts blowing at what seems like gale force. I go back inside and turn on the TV radar and this huge red blob is streaking from the west towards the DFW airport (near where we live). Then the rain starts and after about 5 minutes, the wind totally stops. Super calm, weird looking sky. Then the rain and the wind start again and as I'm looking out the back window towards our pool, I see 2 big branches break off from the tree behind us and partially fall into the pool! The picture you see here was taken this morning. Last night, during a lull, I went out and used shears and clippers to cut the branches that were hanging in the pool. Took about 30 minutes and right when I finished, the rain and wind started up again. You can see some of the cut limbs and branches on the right side of the picture.





So when I see the tree limbs in the pool, I call my neighbor, asking if he has a saw. At that point, I didn't know how big/thick the limbs were. As I'm talking to him on the phone, I hear another crash type sound. I run to the front window and a huge part of a tree that is just on his side of our property line is down. This is the 3rd time this spring/summer that part of this tree has broken off during a storm. These pictures were also taken this morning:







The thunder and lightening late last night/early this morning was unreal. It was like a strobe light going off for hours. I was going to start cutting up and cleaning up in the back, but the rain/lightening has started up again. I also have a visit planned with the folks behind us - that tree has been the bane of my existence for years and I'm going to try my best to convince them to cut the damn thing down.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

How did things go with the neighbor/tree?