Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Metzger footnote

I could have mentioned that you won't see Mike Metzger in the Moto X World Championships 2008 video below because he didn't compete in this event. He was injured last year jumping his motorcycle from one barge to another for the Discovery Channel. I believe he's been retired since then and has moved on to art, merchandising his brand, and doing commentary for Moto X events. He also blogs.

No Moto X TV coverage is complete without a compilation of interviews with riders listing their career injuries and I enjoy this immensely for some freakish reason. Of course, you expect they've broken some bones, but the quantity of broken bones per rider is jaw-dropping. And there are of course, plenty of internal injuries as well, like lacerated kidneys. Before the barge accident, Metzger had lost a testicle and had broken his back three times. I don't suppose the riders can find an insurance company to insure them. For the stars in the sport, I suppose their sponsors agree to foot the bill for medical care and provide payouts for disability and life.

While I'm on this topic, I'll pass on this link to footage of Travis Pastrana working toward the double backflip. Lots of crashing.

No comments: