Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Re: Don't sigh at me, mister

From another site from GlassyEyes 39dollarglasses.com this site got a good review from the WSJ (at least according to the site) and they have Nickelodeon glasses:

PD Measuring.

Eyeglass measurements made easy:

How do I measure the frame I already have?

On the inside of the frame, you will see numbers that tell you the frame measurement of your existing frame.

The temple arm length is usually written on the inside of one of the temples. The number is usually between 125 and 145, and represents the full temple length (including the bend) in millimeters (mm).

The eye size and nose bridge measurements are sometimes stamped in that same place, and are either separated with a dash ( - ) or a small box between the numbers. An example is 49-19, which would mean an eye size (widest part of the lens) of 49mm and a nose bridge (also called DBL or distance between lenses) measurement of 19mm. It is also very common for these to be stamped or engraved on the inside of the nose bridge.

My nikes have the nos. 48 20 140 printed on the left temple arm so I've got 48mm wide lenses (missed that measurement by 2mm), a nose bridge of 20mm (a measurement I hadn't considered) and temple arm length is 140 (missed that one by 5mm). No dashes or small boxes.

I measure temple to temple across the top of my glasses (turning them upside down and laying them on the ruler seems to work best) to their widest point which on my nikes is the outside of the hinges which extend slightly beyond the outside edges of the lenses. I hate getting too narrow glasses...causes the temple arms to flex.

More help here (click on "What do these numbers mean?").

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Now we've spent enough billable hours on the topic and taking measurements to buy glasses for full price at the optometrist.

Scooter said...

Very true but now we have those measurements and I sure hope my head doesn't get any bigger.

Stephanie said...

I wonder if our ears sink with the years, thereby increasing temple length.

Scooter said...

Don't know about the sinking but I've heard the continue to grow...a really disturbing thought for me.

Michael said...

Fine