Monday, February 13, 2006

Ann Coulter's Recent Comment, a Gaff?

From CNSNews, this from the mercurial Ann Coulter:

Referring to Iran, Coulter said, "What if they start having one of these bipolar episodes with nuclear weapons? I think our motto should be, post-9/11, 'Raghead talks tough, raghead faces consequences.'"

Lazy, lazy, lazy.

I know I appear to be contradicting myself from my dhimmitude post, but this is less about free speech than common sense and good taste in what is really funny. I supported Ms. Coulter for her post 9/11 comments about going to the terrorists, holding a gun to their heads (or was it swordpoint?) and forcing their conversion to Christianity (which I think got her dismissed from several conservative websites/publications) because that was clearly journalistic/editorial license to make a point about the anger felt in the aftershock of the September attacks. No clear thinking person thought she genuinely advocated such an action.

Here the quote is just lazy and not funny. I don’t think it rises to hate speech (I don’t even know what that is) or reflects genuine racism…just a lazy effort to get a laugh. She’s better and smarter than that. Profanity was only funny out of the mouths of Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin and, heck, I’ll even go as far as Eddie Murphy. For everybody else, it’s lazy. Use of such a term is beneath her. "Raghead" was amusing the first time I heard it...25 years ago during the Iranian hostage crisis.

Ms. Coulter, cut back on the schedule and work a little harder. (This from a guy who's bought and read or listened to three of your books, never misses a column...and is a huge fan who happens to be very lazy.)

No comments: