Saturday, February 18, 2006

Re: LJ "VOTP"

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can:

He was in prison, but I don't recall why. But the prison wasn't Casa Rosada, as it wasn't and isn't a prison. He became President (the first time) in 1946. After Evita died in 1952, he hung on until a coup in 1955 sent him to excile, in Spain I believe. He returned to Argentina and became President again in 1973, but died in office less than a year later.

The Casa Rosada was not a prison - it is the Presidential Palace / gov't house. It was originally a fort, but I've never read anything that said it was a prison.

The "Mothers of May Square" march every Thursday (and have done so every Thursday for 20+ years) demanding justince for "los desaparecidos" (the young people who disappeared during the military government's reign from 1976 to 1983). When I was marching with them, I thought the signs and banners they had were referring to that. Our Argentine friends told me when I asked them what the banners and signs said, that they referred to the world bank forgiving Argentina's foreign debt.
I guess the Mothers are figuring out that they need to branch out to protest other things so that they can recruit younger protesters. I would assume that the Mothers themselves are getting old and dying off.

Hope this answers your questions

No comments: