Thursday, March 30, 2006

Re: My real girlfriend

Scooter, I have a question for you and your girlfriend:

Whose responsibility is it to assimilate - the immigrant (whether legal or illegal) or the country they are coming into?

I'm sorry, but I believe it's the immigrants responsibility. If I were moving to another country, it would be MY responsibility - not the countries or the people to assimilate me. I should make the effort. I should try to fit in. Be proud of my heritage, of course. In the privacy of my home, speak my language and teach it to my children, sure. But not to expect or demand everyone and everything in the public domain (schools, health-care, voting ballots, driver's license tests, etc.) to be in my native language.

What I got from her column was that it is my fault. I totally disagree.

No comments: