Tuesday, March 18, 2008

HBO's (and David McCullough's) John Adams

First 70 minutes a little slow and I could have lived without the tar and feathering. Last 90 minutes pretty darned good.

Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney (ok, maybe she was awful but I have a bias) both terrific but I would have liked to have seen a bit more of his respect for her intellect and her input into his thoughts and actions. And, at risk of moving the movie from HBO to Lifetime, more about their famous love for one another.

David Morse as His Excellency was perfect.

The governor from Oz/prosecutor from Law and Order and Homicide: Life on the Streets as the Quaker from Pennsylvania got a bit a short shrift. You never really quite grasp that he went on to be one of Washington's best officers in spite of his appearance in uniform on the horse at the end.

For those who haven't seen it yet and have digital cable, it's available on HBO on Demand for about another 8 weeks.

Update: my hopes may still come true for the relationship between John and Abigail and the Penn Quaker (John Dickinson, I think, maybe Dickerson), I didn't realize there are five or six more episodes to go. I thought it ended with the Declaration of Independence.

No comments: