Sunday, March 16, 2008

Re: Foreign Debt

This is so far beyond me I can't even pretend to know anything about it. I've only recently asked an econ prof at UT to get me some Monetary Policy for Dummies type materials.

Having disclaimed all knowledge, I'll happily chime in that I've been getting queasy feelings (notoriously inaccurate) that there do seem to be signs of the "perfect storm."

Foreign debt, jittery Wall Street, weakening dollar, soaring gold, $100 crude and related and other signs of inflation. It seems to me that this squirrely rebate is ridiculous. It wasn't the rebates 6 years ago that helped, it was the tax cuts. I'd let the next administration raise my rates by an additional 5% if we could just drop the corporate tax rate to the average rate of the EU (from almost 40% to 26%) to get our biz on a more level playing field with the EU companies.

I've got to think that would make the dollar more attractive and boost it's value. Remember the last time the European currencies bowed to the mighty dollar? It was back in the late 70s and early 80s when our interest rates were sky high so everyone wanted dollars to by US paper. I sure don't want those interest rates again and leveling the playing field tax wise would seemingly reduce my effective rate of taxation (even with a 5% personal income tax increase) and strengthen the dollar.

I'll give this more thought.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yeesh. Over my head. Is your undergrad in Econ?

Scooter said...

Finance. What a waste. The only thing I can remember is how to calculate using Reverse Polish Notation on my HP12C...does come in handy around a bunch of lawyers how can't add, much less calculate principle and interest payments.

Did have enough hours to minor in English but didn't apply for a formal minor.

Shoulda been a history major...not smart enough or disciplined enough to have been an econ major. Maybe if I went back now.