Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I've got my earplugs ready

In a couple of months, I am going to do something that I haven't done in many, many years. As Michael well knows, and as has been documented here on SSJ, I have been (and still am) on the cutting edge musically. Some might say that I don't follow trends, I START them. So I had to jump at the opportunity to catch Radiohead live when they roll into Dallas in May. This will be the first concert that I have attended in I don't know how long. I am not counting club shows (such as Alseep at the Wheel at Billy Bob's in Ft. Worth) or watching bands at SummerFest in Milwaukee or various spring/summer art festivals here in DFW.

The last concert I can recall was seeing R.E.M. at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in The Woodlands (north of Houston). Interestingly, Radiohead opened for R.E.M. that night. They were unknowns and I saw, and predicted, their greatness that night. I have followed them since and have all their cd's. For those of you who don't know, they split from their record company and issued their latest cd, In Rainbows, over the internet through their website. It was a "pay what you want" deal. You could download the whole thing for nothing, if you wished. (FYI, I did pay, about $10). I'm very excited about seeing them and I'm hoping they play my favorite song of theirs, The National Anthem.

But that is not the only concert we're going to. Earlier in May, C and I are going to see Roger Waters (ex-bassist of Pink Floyd). He will be performing not only some of his solo stuff and PF songs, but the 2nd half of the show will be the entire "Dark Side of the Moon" album. I've seen PF once, in the Astrodome, but it was after Waters left the band. That night, the set was new PF in the first half (which was received warmly, yet not enthusiastically0. The 2nd half was old PF, with all the props (the flying pig, the lasers, etc). That is what the crowd, and myself, wanted to hear. I'm excited about this show as well, but for different reasons. A few hours to relive my past, to transport myself back to my 20's.....

Both concerts are at an outdoor venue. We have seats (pretty good ones) for Roger Waters; lawn tickets for Radiohead. THAT should be an experience....C and I surrounded by todays youth and all that that implies.

No comments: