Friday, May 09, 2008

Godfather and Banished Books

I have not seen the Godfather movie. Hard to believe, I know.

On the topic of reading books that were not age-appropriate: I was in junior high when Michael was in college. He mentioned in a letter that he was reading Kurt Vonnegut (maybe for class?). Because I thought Michael was the COOLEST, I wanted to read Kurt Vonnegut too. My father was distressed. Instead of taking Breakfast of Champions away from me, though, he made a deal with me. He made a list of books he wanted me to read. It was heavy on Hemingway and Jack London and other manly, classic offerings. (How much do I wish I could find that list? I know that none of the books illustrated an asshole with an asterisk.) For each book that I read from his list, I got a flying lesson.

5 comments:

Michael said...

Past tense?

Stephanie said...

The story was in the past, so had to use past tense.

Michael said...

You must see Godfather I and II before you see anything else. You should avoid III.

Scooter said...

Call of the Wild one of my all time faves but admit I read it first at about age 13.

Scooter said...

Your comment about wanting to find your dad's list reminded me of one of his greatest gifts to me and one of the great sources of pride in my life. During the last five years of his life, he requested that all the annual gifts (bday, dad's day, Christmas) be books that I had read and liked.