Thursday, May 08, 2008

Phantom Prey

I am a BIG fan of the Prey series books. This one follows the same basic format of the last several - that being that you know, to some extent, who committed the crime(s). In some of them, you know EXACTLY who it is. I'm not sure when in the series Sandford decided to go to that format, but I'm not thrilled about it. I want to see if I can figure it out before the main character does. That being said, if you like the Prey series, you'll like this. But Sandford needs to shake things up with the next one - Davenport needs someone in his inner circle (work or family) to bite the dust.

Stephanie - just curious if you read these since they are set in the Twin Cities?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Nope, have not.

Anonymous said...

The books started out with the audience knowing exactly who it was, and how they did things. You don't actually get a "whodunit" until the fifth book or so.

And while about half the audience wants someone in the inner circle (read: Weather) to get hit by a train, the other half of the audience wants mostly to read about the interpersonal wacky hijinks and the like, and would be angry if anyone got killed off. Sort of like the Evanovich novels, I guess, where the main characters are all but bulletproof now.

love johnson said...

I didn't say it had to be Weather, I didn't say it had to be someone in his family, but IMHO someone close to him needs to die or be hurt bad or kidnapped or something. It's getting too "comfortable" (Davenport's life, Davenport's job) and therefore the series is getting too comfortable. I was almost more interested in the Siggy sub-plot than the main crime(s).