Sunday, October 05, 2008

Have no idea if this quote is sarcastic or complimentary...

because I haven't read the book.

From my weekend read, Robert Ferrigno's Sins of the Assassin:

"I was a full professor once upon a time. Chairman of the department. Hard to believe, isn't it, considering the company I keep these days? Don't think for a moment I'm not aware of that." His head bobbed. "American literature, that was my specialty. Huck Finn. Moby-Dick. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Ah, the stories I could tell you, the depth of my insights...Do you read much, Rikki?"

The novel, the second in a trilogy is set about 25 years in the future in the Islamic Republic (capital in Seattle). The character speaking is a religious nutjob who lives in the Bible Belt (capital in Atlanta); that is why I couldn't tell whether the reference was complimentary.

For Michael: earlier in the novel we learn a main character had developed an entirely new set of mathematics that he called the Derbyshire Laws or something like that with Derb's name in it.

I must have enjoyed the book since I finished in two sittings. B+ Airport Fiction.

1 comment:

Michael said...

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I don't think any writer would make fun of K&C, so I have to think it's genuine.