Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Re: the diagram

(Per Steph's suggestion.) All the facts would make the diagram even more complex.


Beyond my Alinsky connection, I also used to play cards with Paul Begala and worked with both Paul and James Carville in Lloyd Doggett's US Senate primary race against Kent Hance in the early eighties.


I was Rep. Doggett's (D) recount supervisor in the Texas Panhandle counties. Hance was from West Texas so I was viewed as a pariah but Rep. Doggett won the primary and picked up votes in the recount.


On the way to the panhandle counties I had a rental car get washed away in the middle of the night in a flood between Wichita Falls and Amarillo and then had to hitchhike to get to Amarillo. The guy who picked me up...the backseat of the car was full (I mean full) of empty beer cans. Oh for the days of the open container but I digress.


Rep. Doggett lost the race to...








wait for it...








Sen. Phil Gramm [yes, I originally misspelled].


Doggett went on the Texas Supreme Court for a while and now is in DC as the rep. for a truly gerrymandered district that runs from Austin to the Valley. I even flew down to the Valley on an eighties version of a whistle stop tour with the candidate in a tiny little plane. The pilot had to buzz the airfields first...to get the cattle out of the way.

Nope, I wasn't a Dem but I was clerking for Rep. Doggett's law firm at the time.

No comments: