Thursday, October 02, 2008

Debate

I'm posting this bf looking at or hearing any commentary bc I don't trust myself to be honest afterwards and bc I've discovered that I have a blindspot. Short points first. I thought Biden was wonderful. He lied and I yelled at him each time, and there will be ads that show him lying, but I think he came across (simultaneously!) as a statesman and an agent of change. How he did that, given his horrendous record, I'm not sure, but I'm afraid he did.

My gut reaction to Sarah was that she came off as painfully scripted. There were sparks of un-scriptedness, but then I came to think even those were scripted.

I know that I lose sight of what the average voter (let alone the average citizen) is aware of politically. We (the four of us (when LJ is not fed up and is paying attention)) and the people like us are a tiny tiny percentage of the electorate. What's important or significant to us from day to day never registers with the masses (and yes I'll use that term as a shorthand for what I'm talking about).

My problem is that while I'm sure Joe did well (at least until the ads come out), I haven't the slightest idea how Sarah played to the masses. I'm hoping against hope that she didn't seem wooden and scripted, but I really don't know. Which is what has me confused at the moment. How do I know that Joe did well but don't know how Sarah did? And I realized as I watched and didn't know how she was doing that NRO, Townhall, Hewitt, Rush, Weekly Standard, et al. don't know either. Hewitt, for example, thinks he's in touch bc he talks to people but he's talking to a very small self-selected group. We (on the right) often laugh at the echo chamber on the left but we have one as well, and I can't hear past the echo.

Why'd she step into the unitarian executive thing???

Biden's wife died?

Biden's proud of his hit job on Bork. Disgusting.



Final observation (and not original): "Bipartisanship" is a means to an end, sometimes. Never an end in itself.

14 comments:

Michael said...

OK, I'm going to hit NRO, Campaign Standard, Contentions/Commentary (which are the three serious rightwing blogs) and see what the reaction is, and then Kos and DU. If there are serious left blogs I should look at let me know. I no longer think TPM is serious, so suggest someone else.

Michael said...

Scooter, you turned me onto Whittle and here's why:

America, Meet Sarah [Bill Whittle]

Before this thing gets started, and we are either hoarse from cheering or blind from sobbing, let me expound for one moment . . .


You know how I would have handled Sarah Palin? I would have had her do interviews for CBS and NBC all right . . .


But I would have had her do them with the affiliate in Des Moines, or Grand Rapids, or Bakersfield, or Sarasota. The networks would have gotten their feeds and their interviews, but Katie Couric and Charlie Gibson wouldn't have gotten SQUAT.


I would have sent her out into the heart of America, where she would have been interviewed by anchors enough on the spot to ask some tough questions, but not so imperial that they would assume that were going to determine who the next President would be.


Anyway, here we go!

Stephanie said...

American Prospect (both blogs "Tapped" and Ezra). I don't read DU.

Michael said...

Yes. My thoughts at the end were as I wrote, but this was the first thing that really bothered me:

Predator Lenders? [Jonah Goldberg]

No Fannie Mae? No Freddie Mac? No CRA? Just corrupt Wall Street "predators"?

C'Mon Sarah!

Michael said...

Interesting, my man Whittle: How is this playing with Middle America? I don't know, but she doesn't seem like she's frozen in the headlights.

Stephanie said...

Here's Tapped: http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/tapped

you can get to Ezra Klein also from here.

Michael said...

GF says: "She killed."
http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2008/10/full_palinbiden_debate_video.asp

Michael said...

Does gf have a better sense of the pulse? One (specifically meaning me now) hopes so.

Michael said...

Post-debate thoughts
by kos
Thu Oct 02, 2008 at 07:36:10 PM PDT
Sarah Palin won!

Michael said...

More Kos: On the merits, Biden won easy. On the things that debates are scored on, it was a draw. And for us Democrats, that's the same as victory.

Michael said...

I knew nothing about Biden's woman/violence thing except htat it wa the only thing he's ever done. Here's something:

Speaking of making a mark, it was a cheap shot to go after McCain for voting against the Violence Against Women Act. I know it's basically Biden's sole significant accomplishment -- in 36 years all he can say is he managed to convince his colleagues that violence is bad. But even still, that meany McCain voted against it -- but you know who else voted against it? The Supreme Court, which decided that parts of it were unconstitutional. McCain had good reasons to vote against it.

Michael said...

Andrew McCarthy on the bailout bullshit (I've read that McCain is waitng for the bill to be passed bf he starts naming name; I hope that's right, otherwise this bullshit makes no sense):

I almost turned the TV off in disgust 15 minutes in, when she blamed the credit crisis on predatory lenders -- nothing about irresponsible borrowers, nothing about the Carter/Clinton Community Reinvestment Act, and, most of all, nothing about Fannie/Freddie and Dem bigwigs whose pattern of fraud and kickbacks would make Enron execs blush.

Michael said...

Guess I read it at Ace:

McCain Holding Back on Fannie and Freddie? Um... Wait For It
No confirmation on this, no tip, no hint.

But I know what he's doing.

John McCain is waiting until the bill passes.

And then he will unleash the dogs of war.

And he will say, "I stayed away from making these partisan attacks, even though you lied ridiculously about me and your own attempts at 'reform.' I held back, because partisan attacks -- even truthful ones -- would harm our country and reduce the chances of getting a vital bill passed.

"Well, the bill is now passed. I put country first. You didn't, and you lied on top of that. And now -- only now that this crisis has been dealt with, to the extent we can -- I'm going to give you a bit of straight-talk about Fannie, Freddie, my attempts to reform it, and your attempts to block reform on behalf of your big donors and friends in ACORN."

Count on it.

Michael said...

I was astonished that Ifill didn't disclose her book first thing tonight, particularly given the hubub today.